Next Village Board Meeting
May 11, 2015 7:00 PM
The next Village of Page Board Meeting will be held on Monday, May 11, 2015 at 7:00PM at the Village Office. Members of the public are invited to attend. The Agenda for this meeting will be posted at the Village Office or you can view it online 24 hours prior to the meeting. clicking here. This will open the agenda in a new window as an PDF document.
Minutes from Previous Meetings
Page Cemetery Association:
PO Box 123
Page, NE 68766
The Page Cemetery Association is in the process of compiling all current cemetery data into a computer database. When completed, we are planning on adding a link to the database on the Page Website so anyone can access the data.
In order to make those records as useful as possible to people accessing the database, we are requesting copies of obituaries for anyone buried at the Page Cemetery.
Please check your own family records for any obituaries that could be useful to us. Copies can be mailed to the address above or scanned copies can be emailed to the firstname.lastname@example.org or you can mail them to Page Cemetery Association, PO Box 123, Page, NE 68766.
COMING SOON: We will be reprinting articles from the Page Reporter. Due to the fragility of the
papers, we will not be able to scan them in, but, we will be publishing some of the articles
that were in the paper. CLICK HERE for a preview.
Page is located at 42° 24'1"N 98° 25'7"W / (42.40028° N 98.41861°W) / 42.40028; -98.41861 (42.400412, -98.418682).According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.2 square miles (0.6 km), all of it land.
There were 79 households out of which 16.5% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 51.9% were married couples living together, 1.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 46.8% were non-families. 45.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 27.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.99 and the average family size was 2.83.
In the village the population was spread out with 15.9% under the age of 18, 7.6% from 18 to 24, 24.8% from 25 to 44, 19.7% from 45 to 64, and 31.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 109.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $29,643, and the median income for a family was $48,750. Males had a median income of $38,125 versus $30,313 for females. The per capita income for the village was $18,286. About 13.0% of families and 18.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.6% of those under the age of eighteen and 13.7% of those sixty five or over.
Page began as Pleasant Valley in 1882. The focal point of this community was a sod building that was erected in the northwest quarter of the section one half south of the present site of Page, Nebraska.
On November 20, 1883, upon the written petition of the majority of qualified voters, a meeting was called at the home of W. W. Page. The purpose of the meeting was to decide where the school building should be erected and what type of building it should be. R.B. Hunter was chosen as director, W.W. Page, treasurer and Duran Hunt, Moderator. Mr. Hunt leased the northwest acre of his farm, a site one-half mile south of present day Page, to the district for ninety-nine years for two dollars a year. The school was called Pleasant Valley, a suitable name because of the peaceable and pleasant settlers.
The sod, one-room building about fourteen feet by sixteen feet was made of footboards banked with sod. There were two windows in the east and two in the west. The door was in the south and a blackboard and recitation bench were placed across the north end. Benches served as seats and desks. Each student was to furnish his or her own books. School terms ranged from two to six months with no school being held during the coldest days of winter.
Mrs. Salinda Page was chosen as the first teacher. The Page's lived just northwest of the school in the southeast corner of the section where Janice Morrill now lives.
This sod structure served as a school, community meeting place and place of worship until 1890. At this time all of the settlers of Pleasant Valley worked together and helped each other. This interaction of the settlers would lead to the building of friendships that would last their entire lives and into today. Today, we are very proud of our Pleasant Valley Heritage.
You can read more Page History by following this Link. Thanks to Lyle Harvey for the information.